Roofs protect homes but often need protection themselves, say Washington roofing contractors.
3 Tips for Keeping a Roof In Its Best Possible Condition
The roof may be one of the hardest working parts of a home’s exterior. It may also be one of the most neglected. A person can readily ignore their roof if there is no roof leak or a need for roofing repair. Roofing maintenance may not be a convenient task, but there are a few simple things every homeowner can do to help their roof last a lifetime, or very nearly so.
Keeping Things Clean
One of the simplest yet most effective ways to maintain a roof is to clean it. Keeping the roof free of leaves, branches and other detritus can prevent the damage that comes from moss growth, mold, and mildew which can destroy almost any type of roof by growing and breaking shingles apart. The gutters are also an important part of this cleanliness equation. Keeping the gutters clean prevents water damage to the roof as well as to the foundation of the home. Trimming back trees from the roof can be a great preventative measure for both roof and gutters.
Here are a few ways to keep a roof clean:
- Remove leaves and branches
- Remove/prevent moss growth
- Watch for mildew
- Clean out gutters
- Monitor eaves and soffit for problems
- Remove snow
Another key to roof maintenance is making sure the underlayer of the roof is not exposed to extreme temperature differences. Obviously, part of the point of a roof is to protect the home from weather, and all layers of the roofing are made to be durable. But tough materials can still be affected by weather extremes, hot or cold.
A few of the ways you maintain the temperature within the home can actually help a great deal on the exterior.
- Insulation: If an attic area is well insulated, it can prevent problems like ice dams and bubbling asphalt. It protects the attic space as well, making the whole home more energy efficient.
- Ventilation: In addition to good insulation, roofs need to have sufficient ventilation. This helps maintain a more consistent temperature as well as prevent moisture from becoming trapped in the space and causing water damage and encouraging mold and mildew growth.
- Caulking: Thin metal strips or squares called flashing are often used in roofing to cover the inside corners of a roof. This protective layer works well, but gaps can form that allows entry for water or dead leaves. Using caulking around these areas can be a great benefit to the roof in fortifying against water damage.
Getting a Professional Inspection
Even if a homeowner notices a broken or missing shingle or a roof leak, they may not know what to do about it. If you notice damage on your roof or think you might be in need of roof repair or roof leak repair, then it is definitely time to have a professional roof inspection. A roofing company will be familiar with the various roofing types and be able to assess any problems with your roof and give you individualized solutions.
About Cobalt Exteriors, Inc
If you are looking for a reputable roofing company in the Woodinville, WA area, look no further than Cobalt Exteriors, Inc. Their 30-plus years of experience paired with reliable staff and top-quality supplies make them the best in the business. Call today for your free quote.