Exterior Renovation for the Victorian Home: Maintaining Charm without the UpKeep of Wood Siding
Siding contractors of Washington state suggest upgrading the siding on your Victorian home without losing the charm and detail of the historical building.
What Can New Composite Siding Do for Your Home?
If you have chosen to live in a historical home, then you likely appreciate the beauty and old-world charm of the structure. These highly detailed and artistically built homes create a particular atmosphere where time seems to slow a bit. Unfortunately, because of the age of these homes, they are often a pain to maintain. That is where home renovation comes in. Is there a way to make a historical home easier to care for but still preserve the historical look? The answer is yes.
The Charm of Victorian Architecture
Gabled roofs, cedar shakes (or shingles), and polygonal windows are all hallmarks of the beautiful and historical architecture of the Victorian home. The name itself comes from the fact that these designs were developed and implemented during the reign of Queen Victoria in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
These were the first of a more elaborate style of home that demonstrated the wealth of those living within the home. This gave architects a certain amount of flair and artistic freedom in their designs. When people think of Victorian homes, they may picture the doll’s house with scrolled white eaves and robin’s egg blue or lavender siding, and this is not far from what can actually exist.
What Sidings Are Available?
Traditionally these historic homes were sided with wood, often specifically cedar, siding. While wood siding has curb appeal, it is very difficult to maintain because it regularly needs to be repainted and the wood can rot and need replacement. This makes exterior maintenance on such homes a constant process that is never quite finished.
Thankfully for the modern homeowner, there are many options that keep the look of wood siding but are much more durable and easy to maintain.
- Vinyl Siding: This is the cheapest option and has become a highly desirable option for many homes. It can come in a wide variety of colors and is made to look like wood grain as well as other materials.
- Metal Siding: This is an excellent option for roofs and for a more industrial look. This will not be beneficial in maintaining historical curb appeal, though.
- Composite Fiber Siding: This is the latest in siding technology and lasts up to 50 years. It is created using concrete and plant fiber and is highly durable and moldable to almost any appearance. It looks like true wood grain and comes in a wide variety of colors.
Siding Services and Siding Installation
Proper installation is critical to maintaining the integrity of any type of siding. A siding company that has trained technicians and is fully insured can guarantee their work whereas the neighborhood DIYer cannot.
Here are a few of the other benefits of hiring a professional to do your exterior renovations:
- Saves time
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Peace of mind for install
- Difficult jobs such as stone siding and vertical siding can be easily accomplished.
About Cobalt Exteriors, Inc.
Cobalt Exteriors has been providing top-quality workmanship since opening more than thirty years ago. We pride ourselves on finding quality and cost-effective solutions to both residential and commercial renovation issues. Call us today for more information on our composite siding options such as James Hardie® siding products.