Everything You Wanted to Know About Fiber Cement Siding But Were Afraid to Ask
Siding contractors of Washington share insights on the budget-friendly, low-maintenance fiber cement siding.
A Guide to Fiber Cement Siding
There are many ways to protect and decorate the exterior of a home. This protection/decoration often takes the form of siding whether it is cedar siding, stone siding, wood siding, or metal siding. Each type of siding has its own advantages and disadvantages, but one of the most recent developments in the world of siding is a versatile composite product known as fiber cement siding.
What is Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement siding is a product that is made of four components:
- Wood fiber/wood pulp
- Portland cement
- Fly ash or silica
These ingredients are mixed and poured into molds that create the pieces of siding. Most often fiber cement siding is made to look like wood siding, but it is versatile and can be made to look like stone or something else. The ingredients work together to create a light, durable, and flexible product that is fairly inexpensive.
What are the Advantages of Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement siding isn’t just the newest product on the market, it actually has several advantages over its wood, stone, and vinyl counterparts. Here are a few of the major reasons to invest in fiber cement siding instead of other alternatives:
- Price Point: This siding usually costs around $3 per square foot. This is comparable to vinyl siding and is less expensive than wood or cedar siding.
- Durability: This siding can last 25 years or more and is not susceptible to rot or breakage due to temperature fluctuations.
- Maintenance: The siding can be cleaned with a water hose and mild dish soap, but requires very little upkeep. Because it requires painting, it may need to be repainted after 10 or 15 years.
- Versatility: Fiber cement siding can be used in so many ways. Though it is slightly heavier than other sidings, it is light enough to be used without the extensive support needed for stone siding. Vertical siding and other designs are possible as well.
- Curb Appeal: Fiber cement siding looks good. It imitates wood siding so perfectly that it is now often approved as a wood siding replacement on historical buildings.
Is Fiber Cement Siding Maintenance Intensive?
One of the major advantages of fiber cement siding is its lack of maintenance. Unlike wood siding, it does not rot or pests. Unlike vinyl, it will not melt or warp in high temperatures or become brittle in cold temperatures. It has flexibility due to wood pulp makeup and is lighter than stone. The paint will wear out before the siding will.
How Durable Is Fiber Cement Siding? Is It Repairable?
Though its weight makes it necessary to hire a siding contractor for siding installation, fiber cement siding is quite durable. As previously discussed, it has at least a 25-year warranty and can have a limited lifetime warranty. If small cracks do develop, they can be sealed with caulk and painted over.
About Cobalt Exteriors, Inc.
You are considering an exterior home renovation? Call Cobalt Exteriors, Inc for any siding, roofing, and decking projects in the Woodinville, WA area. Our reliable staff and quality materials have made us the top in the business for more than 30 years.