Contractors in Woodinville, WA Share Information About Vinyl Siding Installation
How You’ll Know If Your Vinyl Siding Was Installed Correctly
The exterior face of your house is the first thing visitors and passerby notice. So if you’re looking to dramatically increase the curb appeal of your home, the biggest bang for your buck is a siding update. If you choose a vinyl siding installation, there are ways to tell if the siding was installed correctly.
Here you will learn why vinyl siding is such a popular choice, how to tell if it is installed correctly, and the benefits of working with a professional siding company.
What Makes Vinyl Such a Popular Siding Option?
Up until the late 1950s, houses were usually sided with aluminum siding. But when vinyl siding arrived on the scene, homeowners quickly realized it was significantly more durable and cost-effective. Here are the main reasons why vinyl siding remains the most popular choice for home renovation:
- Durability: Because it’s made of plastic, vinyl siding holds up longer in extreme elements like hot sun, wind, and pelting rain or hail. It is rustproof, mold and mildew resistant, and colorfast.
- Versatility: Modern vinyl siding comes in hundreds of colors and textures, and is even manufactured to mimic the look of clapboard siding or a log cabin. Homeowners can achieve the exact style they prefer without sacrificing durability.
- Economic: Versus other siding options such as steel, aluminum, brick, stone, and wood, vinyl is far cheaper per square foot, allowing homeowners to completely renovate their house without scrimping and saving or breaking the bank.
- Low-maintenance: Vinyl siding is easy to clean and repair, and because it’s so durable, it rarely needs any attention at all. Homeowners like having that peace of mind.
- Energy efficient: A house covered in vinyl siding is less susceptible to fluctuations in temperature. It helps keep the warm air in during winter, and deflects the heat from the sun during the summer. Properly installed vinyl siding will help lower utility bills.
Leave Room for Expansion and Contraction
One of the key elements of a proper vinyl siding installation is to leave room for expansion and contraction. Due to temperature fluctuations–from hot to cold, and back again–vinyl siding can expand and contract as much as ½”.
When a professional siding contractor installs your vinyl siding, they should leave clearance between each nail head and the siding panel, as well as at openings and stops. This will allow the siding to shift as needed. If your vinyl siding buckles, cracks, or falls off the wall, it’s possible it was not installed correctly in the first place, and you will need to call for siding services.
Inspect Nails, Openings, and Joints
Once you know where to look, you’ll be able to tell if your vinyl siding was installed correctly. Vinyl siding is nailed through a nail slot behind the top of each strip. The nails should penetrate at least ¾” into the stud or furring beneath the panel, with a gap of 1/32” (about the thickness of a dime) between the head of the nail and the vinyl panel. If the nails are too tight or too loose, you’ll have problems with your siding later on.
Fitting vinyl siding around doors, windows, and fixtures can be a tricky process, and should be left to the professionals. If the trim is too loose or too tight, the vinyl siding may buckle, crack, or fall off. Similarly, the siding must be properly installed with J-channel where it meets the soffit under the eaves. Any gaps between siding and fixtures will allow moisture to seep behind the siding, causing rot and corrosion. Inspect your vinyl siding for gaps or buckling to make sure it was installed correctly.
The Benefits of Working With a Professional Siding Company
DIY siding installation may seem cheaper upfront, but measuring and cutting errors or improper installation can lead to costly repairs down the road. The best part of hiring a professional siding company is that they have experience in vinyl siding installation. Your contractor will be able to expertly measure and fit around openings like doors, windows, and fixtures, and can quickly install the siding without second guessing.
They will also be best equipped to efficiently deal with any issues that might arise during the installation. Furthermore, professionally installed vinyl siding installations often come with a lifetime warranty.
Trust the Professionals at Cobalt Exteriors, Inc.
The contractors at Cobalt Exteriors, Inc. have over 31 years of experience in the siding and home renovation industry. They offer gutter installation, window installation, siding installation, and siding services in Woodinville, WA and throughout the Seattle area. Your home is your biggest investment – trust it to the pros at Cobalt Exteriors, Inc.