Roofing contractors of Washington lay out the basics of the three different types of asphalt shingles.
3-Tab, Architectural, and Luxury Shingles: What Fits Best?
When it comes to roofing there are many materials available, from slate to cedar shakes to metal roofing. The most common form of roofing is asphalt shingles. Up to 80% of the houses in the United States are roofed with some form of asphalt. There are several different styles of asphalt shingles and they can fit almost any aesthetic.
Introduction to Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are made from at least one layer of asphalt-soaked fibrous material. The tar-like byproduct of refining oil is soaked into fiberglass or an organic fiber material such as compressed wood pulp. This layer is topped with varicolored granules made of ceramic. This is where production stopped in the past. Nowadays there are extra layers of reflective coating to help prevent the absorption of heat and UV light, helping to regulate the temperature in the home.
There are three main variants of asphalt shingles. They are listed below along with their basic attributes:
- 3-Tab Shingles: These are traditional flat asphalt shingles that are composed of a single layer of materials and have three distinctive tabs or flaps on each piece. They are most common possibly because they are an inexpensive option that is still durable.
- Architectural Shingles: Also called dimensional shingles, architectural shingles are made of multiple layers for a slightly elevated appearance, somewhat imitating wood shakes. They are stronger and more durable than traditional 3-tab shingles but also cost more.
- Luxury Shingles: Luxury shingles are a more recent design to enter the market. Premium asphalt shingles are larger than the other types and come in a variety of shapes and colors to accommodate curb appeal. These can imitate the look of slate or cedar shingles and are made to last while being less expensive and easier to care for than wood or slate.
Reasons to Choose Asphalt Shingles
One of the main reasons to choose asphalt shingles is the price point. They cannot be beaten for the price. 3-tab shingles can be as inexpensive as $1.50 per square foot. Even with the higher price of dimensional or premium shingles, the cost is still far less than other forms of roofing.
Here are a few other reasons:
- Warranty for 25-30 years on 3-tab
- Warranty of 30-50 years on architectural and luxury
- Variety of colors
- Variety of styles
Which Style Works for Your Home and Budget?
When deciding how you want to proceed with a roofing repair or roofing replacement, it is a good idea to look at the other houses in the area to see what will fit in with the neighborhood or may enhance the look of your home for standout curb appeal. Above all, consulting with a reputable roofing company is a must.
Qualified roofers have a great deal of experience under their belts and know the recommendations for certain types of roofing whether it is commercial roofing or residential roofing. They will be able to advise you on the best fit for your home and your pocketbook.
About Cobalt Exteriors, Inc.
Cobalt Exteriors has been a trusted name in roofing and siding in Woodinville, WA for more than thirty years. Our affordable rates and top-rated materials make us a company worth calling again and again. Call us today for a free quote.